7.15.2007

One the move again...

This will be, as my last several updates have been, brief. My apologies again to those of you wanting some more in-depth information and/or pictures. Considering it's size, finding wireless internet in Moscow (especially near my hotel) is ridiculously difficult, meaning that these last few updates have been written on cyber-cafe computers, surrounded by 13 year-old boys playing Counter-Strike the like...

Moscow has been wonderful, and I really am a bit sad that I'm not staying longer. The city is gorgeous, the history here is astounding, and the people really are some of the friendliest I've met thus far... Highlights from the city have included eating a cheeseburger in front of Lenin's tomb, before bribing my way in just after closing (it seemed appropriate) and spending an afternoon reading a good book under a tree in Alexander's Garden, just behind the Kremlin.

On a more somber note, I spent half a day and visited Mitinskoya Cemetary, where the Chernobyl Heroes are buried. The monument above their graves is one of the most potent I've seen in the post-soviet states since I arrived. The monument itself is in the shape of a giant mushroom cloud. Standing in front of it a lone bronze figure, with radiation burns across his face, shields the 28 graves of the heroes from the radiation...

The Web informs me that my hostel in St. Petersburg has internet access. I should have a bit of time there to sit down and write some more, and if it's wifi, even post a few pictures from Moscow.